Saturday, March 5, 2011

How to Win Friends and Influence People

At James' suggestion, I listened to this book over the past week. Despite the slightly ridiculous title, it seems like quite the fine book. Might even help me to be a little less curmudgeonly! I like the book's old-timey-ness (originally published 1936 or something) and it does still seem quite relevant. Good for people such as myself, with a tendency to be a dick most of the time. I also like that the book is very self-consistent; it seems to be written mostly according to the principles that it espouses. Consistency is good. Anyway, mostly stuff that should be obvious (smile, don't criticize people, etc.) that I tend to forget about. I'll see if I can remember, and try to apply some of the stuff in my teaching too.

No comments: